Hong Kong Academy has a world-class 23,700m2 facility in Sai Kung. The campus structure remains committed to the principles that have always been paramount to the school – intentional diversity, dynamic learning environment, learning for excellence and engagement with community.
A Healthy Building
HKA adheres to an internationally recognised system that assesses and certifies the environmental performance of (new) buildings in Hong Kong, BEAM Plus, developed by the Green Building Council of Hong Kong. We have currently been awarded ‘Provisional BEAM Platinum’ status. Read more about our BEAM Plus rating via their HKA project page.
The campus is a leading example of its type in the South East Asia region. In addition to achieving resource conservation, environmental sustainability and cost savings, some of the buildings features are used as teaching tools as students monitor energy usage and recycling success.
Features of HKA’s “healthy” building include:
- Use of internal paints, adhesives and finishes with low levels of volatile organic compounds and formaldehyde.
- Weather-tolerant landscaping with native plants for reduced water usage.
- Dedicated exhaust systems in workshop, art and science spaces.
- A CFC-free climate control system.
- A commitment to using a percentage of recycled building materials.
- Use of materials manufactured within 800km when possible.
- Reducing CO2 emissions and energy consumption.
- Building orientation that allows for natural ventilation.
- Flexible temperature controls allowing different areas of the building to be cooled by air conditioning and natural ventilation at the same time.
- An air conditioning system which utilises fresh air brought in through a sophisticated filtering program.
- High internal Air Quality rating leading to an enhanced learning environment.
Integrating the Curriculum
HKA’s campus incorporates the latest thinking in educational building design and has been created specifically to support the unique teaching culture of HKA and the requirements of the International Baccalaureate (IB) programme from PK1 to Grade 12.
Notable features include:
- A rooftop landscaped Art Courtyard with sea and mountain views for creating and exhibiting art as well as hosting special events.
- Art studios on upper floors with expansive views and abundant natural light.
- A two-story library with cozy reading nooks, computers and working space for online research.
- Integrated classroom and lab spaces for physics, chemistry and biology, as well as a separate shared science prep room.
- Flexible classrooms for all, that can be reconfigured and, in certain cases, combined.
- Dedicated drama and dance practice space, and noise-isolation music practice rooms.
- Separate, developmentally appropriate outdoor play spaces for all age groups.
- A High School lounge and study area for independent work and socialising.
- A Middle School open learning area for small groups and individual work.
- Distinct character and atmosphere for Early Childhood, Primary, Middle and High School classroom areas.
- A Learner Support Centre with a Speech Lab and pull-out rooms integrated into the classroom areas.
Welcoming the Community
In order to fully integrate the service learning component across all areas and extend HKA’s community outreach, our campus in Sai Kung includes: an integrated service learning program; performance and athletic spaces that can be shared with the local community; recycling facilities; and an overall emphasis on welcoming the community into the school and sharing in the learning process.
Our community has access to:
- A 350-seat auditorium with a professional grade sound system, theatre-quality lighting, recessed orchestra pit, movable stage components, retractable seating and the option of creating a proscenium or thrust stage configuration.
- An 80-seat studio theatre for more intimate performances with a dedicated sound and light control room as well as a 360° blackout curtain system, allowing for a completely blacked out environment for performances and natural light during classes.
- A 800 seat gymnasium with a combination of fixed and pull-out seating to accommodate the entire school community at one event.
Ideally Situated in One of Hong Kong’s Best-Planned Communities
HKA’s campus is located in the town of Sai Kung in Hong Kong’s New Territories, about 30mins from Central district on Hong Kong Island. For a bird’s eye view of Sai Kung and the surroundings area click here. Open landscape, proximity to the sea, and plenty of space are just a few of the benefits of our campus. Roads continue to improve, travel times to Sai Kung continue to decrease, and there are several different routes available. View our 'How to get here' page for maps, directions etc...
- Surrounded by sports facilities: tennis/squash courts, swimming pools, outdoor sports courts, football stadium with running track, all within 5 minute walking distance.
- Nearby water sports (windsurfing, kayaking, dragon boating).
- 2 minute walk to the beach.
- Close proximity to the Sai Kung Promenade, shops and restaurants
- Sai Kung Country Park, Kau Sai Chau public golf course, Hebe Haven Yacht Club and the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club are all close by.